The overall objective is to contribute to the Malawi Government's objective of poverty reduction in line with the Malawi Growth and Development Strategy (MGDS). The main beneficiaries are: Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development (MoLGRD) and the Programme Implementation Unit (PIU) within the MoLGRD that is responsible for the day-to-day management of the small scale rural infrastructure component 1 of RIDP.
The project has the following purposes:
- Contribute and ensure efficient and effective implementation of RIDP through capacity building and provision of technical and operational assistance to the PIU and collaborating institutions;
- Establish a Monitoring and Management Information System (MIS) for the effective and efficient achievement of the programme's targets and objectives;
- Contribute to the smooth implementation and refinement of the decentralised programme management system proposed for RIDP by ensuring that the programme follows and furthers national policy, in particular the Decentralisation process and MGDS;
- Contribute and facilitate achievement of increased food security and income levels of rural households, ensuring sustainable use of soil and water resources, and to facilitate business development, employment and improved marketing of agricultural produce.
The Technical Assistance of this project will assist the Programme Implementation Unit within the MoLGRD to implement one component, the small scale rural infrastructure development, which aims to achieve:
Result 1: Rural road infrastructure improved
- Identification, prioritisation and selection of roads and bridges for upgrading and rehabilitation in collaboration with the District Assembly; Planning of upgrading and tenders;
- Establishment of road maintenance clubs, equipped, capacitated and trained in the work required.
Result 2: Small scale irrigation infrastructure developed
- Village forestry clubs formed, equipped and trained in forest husbandry;
- Tree planting activities to ensure sustainable irrigation and soil conservation;
- Village irrigation clubs constituted, equipped and trained in irrigation techniques;
- Develop activities to promote crop diversification, soil conservation, watershed management, tree planting and aquaculture;
- Add value to water reservoirs through aquaculture activities involving the provision of fishing nets and fingerlings, tools and materials for the construction of fish ponds.
Result 3: Implementation capacity of District Assemblies enhanced
- Enhance capacity of the District Assemblies through cooperation and by direct provision of capacity building;
- Train roads maintenance, forestry and irrigation staff; enable them to take over the implementation functions related to RIDP interventions;
- Upon the proven capacity of the DAs, functions within the RIDP will be incrementally handed over to the Das similar to what has been achieved on the Road maintenance component.