The project supported the strengthening of administrative capacities in Albania through the achievement of the following specific objectives.
In the area of competition legislation, to:
• Ensure the alignment of the Albanian competition legislation to the Acquis, in order to meet criteria set by the European Union and to support the implementation of legislation;
• Strengthen the system of competition regulation through the establishment of a trained Independent Competition Authority;
• Support the formulation and monitoring of the mid-term strategy of this authority;
• Ensure the follow-up of case handling by the Competition Authority;
• Raise awareness of competition rules amongst the business community and economic operators in general;
• Improve and reinforce the system of competition through the training of judges in competition ruling according to EU Acquis, in particular the Court of First Instance and Court of Appeal dealing with competition;
• Improve the quality of data collection and the sharing of information.
In the area of state aid, to:
• Support the development of a legal framework on state aids according to EU requirements;
• Support the establishment of an independent state aids authority;
• Raise awareness of state aid requirements and control.