The overall objective of the project is to continue supporting the efforts to develop the Kosovo Judiciary in line with EU standards by increasing its independence and improving its performance. The purpose is to develop and strengthen the independence, performance, professionalism and efficiency of the Kosovo Judicial Council (KJC) and the Kosovo Prosecutorial Council (KPC) to the level expected in view of increasing standards up to an European level. Further on to provide strategic support to the said Councils to develop their organisational capacities and professional capabilities to execute their mandates according to the new relevant legislation. The Project is aiming at the following results and will be implemented under four components:
Results under Component 1: Organisational Support to KJC/KPC
- The structure and the efficiency of the KJC/KPC are strengthened, allowing them to effectively perform their tasks.
- Organigram and relevant job descriptions are in place by both Councils.
- Equivalent structures and legislative framework referring specifically to ODC and JAU are in place.
- Capacities for drafting/updating and implementing strategic planning developed and strengthened.
Results under Component 2: Support to the enhancement of an appointment, evaluation, and disciplinary system of judges
- A fully functional, independent and transparent system of appointment and promotion of judges established/developed.
- System of evaluation of professional capacity of judges fully functional.
- Disciplinary system for judges with clear-cut criteria and disciplinary measures (including dismissal) created and in place.
Results under Component 3: Support to the enhancement of an appointment, evaluation, and disciplinary system of prosecutors
- A fully functional, independent and transparent system of appointment and promotion of prosecutors established/developed.
- System of evaluation of professional capacity of prosecutors fully functional.
- Disciplinary system for prosecutors with clear-cut criteria and disciplinary measures (incl. dismissal) created and in place.
Results under Component 4: Improving Access to Legal Documents
- The scope and role of a Legal Resources Centre to be managed by the Kosovo Judicial Institute is defined through a need assessment. Judges and prosecutors' access to legal documentation is strengthened.